This is that time of year where we eat too much turkey, go to quite a few holiday parties, and indulge on one too many sweet treats. It’s a busy time of year that makes it tempting to fall off track when it comes to working out and fitness goals, but there’s at least one person who doesn’t use the holidays as an excuse to skip the gym. Please join us in congratulating our athlete of the month, Martha! She really cares a lot about CFDF and our wellbeing. She always has good advice to share, is always proactive, and productive as well. Her training stays consistent and she continues to make progress in her competitions. We applaud you for your hard work and thank you for getting up before the sun to open the box!
This month’s coaches spotlight brings you Dwayne Harris!
I’ve always played some sort of sport throughout my life. It was just always something I was interested in. After high school entering college I got involved with intramural sports to feed my appetite for competition. I ran a few miles a week for cardio and did the old standard Globo Gym “curls for the girls” routine. In 2007 I became a Firefighter for the City of Myrtle Beach and discovered the Firefighter Combat Challenge, hailed as “The toughest 2 minutes in sports!” While training and looking for a competitive advantage I was approached by my partner and good friend Tadd Rubin. He says, “Dude you gotta watch this video of this thing called CrossFit”. I continued doing CrossFit on my own before going to an actual class and haven’t looked back. Watching the sport of CrossFit, “The Sport of Fitness” grow so much and seeing how much it is changing people’s lives from people without any athletic background to professional athletes inspired me to get my CrossFit Level 1 Certification and my CrossFit Strongman Certification. I want to share my love of fitness with anyone who will listen and show them how it benefits us for a better quality of life. I look forward to staying active in CrossFit and continually learning and progressing. Do Work!
Some more fun facts:
What's your favorite Crossfit movement? Power Cleans
Least favorite movement? Overhead Squats....isn't that everyone's????
Your favorite male and female athlete? Male - Neal MaddoxFemale - Lindy Barber
What's something most people don't know about you? I can pretty much recite all 15 min of the Original "Rappers Delight" song by the Sugar Hill Gang
Your favorite food? New York Style Pizza and Cheesecake.
What do you love about CFDF? I love that I bring my kids in and other members treat them as their own. It is one big family.
Your full-time job? Firefighter for the City of Myrtle Beach Fire Department
What do you like to do in your spare time? Spend time with my girls (wife and two princesses) and of course work out!
Christmas is 21 days away and hopefully you’ve already started your Christmas shopping, but if not, have no fear, we’ve compiled a small list of five awesome gifts to give that CrossFit athlete in your life.
1. CrossFit Attire: There are many places online to get great clothes for working out in, but locally, CFDF carries some awesome apparel with our CFDFs logo on them. Make sure to stop in to see our selection!
2. Kettlebells: Rogue Kettlebells are amazing. They come in various sizes and prices.
3. Jump Rope: Jumping rope is a great exercise and it’s in a lot of workouts. It’s great to have your own jump rope, especially if you’re wanting to getting better at double unders. There are a lot of great quality jump ropes out there, but just to recommend a few, RX Smart Gear and Rogue Fitness, both offer great products. RX Smart Gear’s jump rope allows you to customize the handles, color of the cable, and width of the cable if you’re looking for a fun colored option. Right now on Rogue, they’re having killer deals on products, including jump ropes, and various shipping deals.
4. Shoes: Nothing says you’re a true CrossFitter like a pair of CrossFit shoes. Everyone has their preference in brand and style, but Reebok Nanos seem to be favorite amongst most athletes. They’re lightweight, comfortable, and provide the right amount of protection during a WOD.
5. Snacks and Protein Powder: To help keep you on track before, during, and after your WOD, CFDF carries a variety of supplements, snacks, drinks, and powders to help keep you fueled. There’s nothing quite like a Lenny and Larry’s cookie after a hard WOD. These also make great stocking stuffers!
Danny and Jacqui Perez are welcoming a sweet baby boy in just a few short weeks and we want to shower them with lots of love and gifts before they officially become parents. Please don’t forget that their shower is this Saturday, December 10th. Also, for those that are still working on hitting their phases, the end of the fourth quarter is no later than the end of the business day on December 31st! We hope to see you at the shower, we hope you keep striving towards your goals/phases, and as always, we roll deep!